A simple flavoured rice passed on to me from my mom. This goes very well with most of the spicy curries, like egg, chicken or mutton.
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Ghee or Clarified butter – 1 tsp
- Whole spices – A mix of your choices like bay leaf, cloves, aniseed, pepper corns etc
- Onions – 1 , finely sliced
- Ginger – 1 tsp chopped
- Garlic – 1 tsp chopped
- Basmati Rice – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1 cup (exactly double the amount if rice)
- Salt – as required
- Coriander leaves finely chopped – 3 tsp
Clean the rice and keep them soaked in water.
Heat a pressure cooker, to it add the oil. Once the oil is hot add the whole spices, saute till you can smell the flavours. Now add onions and the ginger garlic. Saute till onions are translucent.
Note : At this stage you can choose to add vegetables of you choice like carrots, green peas.
Drain the rice and add to the cooker and saute, slightly fry. At this stage add the ghee and continue sauteing.
Add water and let it boil. Close the pressure cooker and let one whistle blow. Turn off the stove.
Open the pressure cooker and garnish with coriander leaves.