This would be one the top 10 food that I love and relish. Bland poori with a spicy potato curry is like a special dish for the day. I am not giving puri recipe, only the recipe for spicy potato curry.
All that you need
- Potatoes – 3 peeled and cut into cubes
- Oil as needed ( i prefer mustard oil for this dish)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Ginger and garlic chopped – 1-2 tsp each
- Green chillies – 3, finely chopped
- Onions – 1 big, chopped roughly
- Tomatoes – 1 big, chopped roughly (if one does not prefer tangy flavour can use a small tomato or eliminate also)
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Finely chopped coriander leaves – half a bunch
Take thick bottom pan or kadai. When hot add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds, followed by the chopped ingredients in the order mentioned above. But let the ingredients cook before adding the next ingredient.
Once the tomatoes are cooked and become mushy add the spices, except the garam masala. Saute till the raw flavour goes off. Add water little excess than what will cover the potatoes. Now add the garam masala and salt. Cover the pan with the lid and cook on a medium flame till the potatoes are cooked. This should take about 15 minutes.
Open the lid and if there is excess water turn the flame to high and let the water evaporate till you get a thick consistency. Add coriander leaves and mix well. Turn off the stove and garnish with little coriander leaves.